Post-Op… and feelin’ it.

Hey everyone! Hope you guys like the new page layout! Sorry I haven’t posted in a few days. My last post was a couple hours before surgery, and I was TERRIFIED! Now I have been through what I hope is the hardest part, and it will only get better from here.

Let me tell you guys about the day of and the hospital experience. I got there at 5:30am and they called me back at 6:15. Alex and Timur waited in the waiting area while I was taken back to the IV area. I had to do a urine sample, change into a gown, put on a hair net, and wait for an IV to be put in. I was absolutely trembling. The feeling was unbelievably overwhelming. The anesthesiologists (there were two of them), IV nurse, and a resident doctor (he was training with my surgeon) all came into my tiny sitting area. It was very intimidating having so many people talking to me while I sit on a hospital bed trembling and about to cry. They were all very nice, but my nerves were completely shot at that point. At 7:15, they allowed Alex and Timur to come into the back room before they wheel me away into surgery. The boys sat with me, and I felt much better seeing them. A wave of emotion flooded over me, and I burst out crying. Thank God the boys were with me though, because they made me feel exponentially better. They assured me that everything would be okay, gave me a hug and kiss, and watched as the doctors rolled me away.

In the blink of an eye I was in the OR. They had me scoot onto the operating table, and when I looked around it was like looking into an ocean of doctors and nurses. There must have been 8 people in the room. The anesthesiologist put a mask on my face, and asked me to count backwards from 10. I have absolutely NO clue what number I reached, I just passed out. When I woke up I was in a recovery area. I kept waking up in recovery and asking when I’d be in my actual hospital room, but then I’d fall asleep again. After a couple hours, a nurse woke me up and told me I was about to go to my room. When I got to the room, the boys came up and I instantly felt worlds better. I was in pain, and extremely out of it, but they always brighten my day no matter what circumstances. I had another IV put in place (in my hand) during surgery, I had two leg “pumps” on to ensure that I don’t get blood clots, and I had a catheter in. The combination was driving me crazy. I also think I have a phobia of hospitals because growing up both of my parents were very sick and thus I spent a lot of time in hospitals.

Alex and Timur were probably sooooo bored, because I slept almost the whole day away. My sister came to the hospital too, and I slept for most of the time when she was there also. I would spend 30 minutes awake, and 1 and half hours asleep. This continued basically all day. I requested to be moved to a private room so that Alex could stay the night with me, and by the grace of God, I got my wish. I was moved into a private room at around 7pm. Timur and Katie left the hospital, and Alex and I watched “The Parent Trap” via Netflix on my tablet. It was actually really nice and I loved having him there. At around 10:30pm, we decided to go to sleep. But…….. that didn’t happen.

Alex was dead asleep pretty much right away. I, on the other hand, couldn’t sleep. I had slept the day away and between the painful IV’s, the catheter, the incisions, the leg pumps, and the fact that the room was like 92 degrees I just couldn’t freakin sleep. I was so upset. I was regretting having the surgery. I was up crying until 3am, and finally I fell asleep. At 4 they woke me up for vitals, and I fell back to sleep at 5. They woke me up again at 7, and I couldn’t fall asleep again after. At 8 they let me take the leg pumps off and it felt like a little bit of freedom. But still, all I knew was I had to get out of the hospital. I begged and pleaded for them to let me go. At around noon they took the catheter out. I had to take this water test where I drink 6 small medicine cups of water. I passed just fine, but I felt completely stuffed after I finished. It was such a strange feeling, one that I’m still not used to. The surgeon stopped in and told me I was good to leave that day and I was ecstatic! The IV’s came out soon after. Timur showed up and we all packed, and I was released. Timur accidentally took the long way home, and a one hour car ride turned into two hours. The bumping around was making me feel awful, so I leaned my head back and passed out in the car.

I was SO happy to be home! I was also very happy to be with Autumn again (though I can barely touch her or play with her because she’s too heavy and rambunctious). The pain on the first day was pretty bad. I took some prescribed liquid hydrocodone around 10pm, and it made me feel so good before knocking me out. I slept well. Every day since, the pain has gotten better and better. Yesterday I took the pads over my staples off, so it was my first time seeing the incisions. I look like the bride of Frankenstein, but it could always be worse. I showered yesterday, which I was originally scared to do. I thought it would hurt when anything touched the incision sites, but it didn’t at all. Actually felt really good. I’m getting the staples out on the 30th (in 4 more days!) and I’m excited to have them out. Sometimes the area around the staples ache a little, but it’s really much better. Also, the first couple days post-op the gas pains are AWFUL! They are much better now!! My only pain complaint is that I think I had a slight allergic reaction to one of the meds they used on me. My entire stomach and all of the incision sites itch reallllllly bad!! On the plus side, MY DIABETES IS GONE!!!! I am off all diabetes medication and insulin! WOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

So about the food. Today is my first day of full liquids. Before I was on only clear liquids. The day after surgery I had 2 bites of jello and was stuffed. My first full day home I had 1 sugar free jello cup and 1 sugar free popsicle the entire day. I also only had like 4 ounces of water. It was bad. Yesterday I had 2 sugar free jello cups and 1 sugar free popsicle, and I pushed myself to drink 30 ounces of water. Today since I started full liquids I am going to have a few no sugar added fudgesicles, instant carnation breakfast, and try to aim for 36 ounces of water. It is a truly surreal feeling to be this full this fast. You can’t truly understand it until you live it.

Emotionally it has also gotten much better. I don’t regret the surgery at all. This was the best decision I could have ever made for myself and my family and friends. I am so excited at the idea of Autumn growing up with a healthy momma! I love thinking about all the things I’ll be able to do that I couldn’t before because of this surgery.

I’m so sorry that this post was this long! I just had so much to stay and this was such a crazy experience for me! I want to share all of it with you guys. Hopefully this can help people have a better idea of the process. I will update soon but in the meantime feel free to email me!

Love to all!!

Dimand Girl

Heighest Weight (pre op): 330

Surgery Weight: 310

Current Weight: 299

“You have to fight through some bad days to earn the best days of your life.”- Unknown

“Although no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending.”- Carl Bard

photo 1 photo 2

^^Hospital selfies before surgery when I was waiting for the boys to come back to see me^^

photo 4 photo 5

^^Saying bye to the boys before surgery. I was so scared!^^

image (3) image (4) photo 1 (1)

^^So groggy when the boys came to see me after surgery. Loved seeing them!^^

photo 2 (2) photo 3 (1)

^^When Katie (my sister) came to visit 🙂 ^^

image (2)

^^Day 2 in hospital. Before I was released. Attempted to eat jello but could only eat 2 bites^^

2 thoughts on “Post-Op… and feelin’ it.

  1. I enjoy reading your blog you will see as each day passes you will feel better and will be able to drink more fluids. Congrats on your choice to be healthy.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s